The Society of South African Geographers main objective is to advance the research and educational activities of all South African Geographers by:
- collectively representing the interests of South African Geographers regionally, nationally and internationally
- encouraging and supporting high quality research and teaching in Geography
- providing a national geographic information resource for Geographers and interested groups
- stimulating awareness of geographic and environmental matters through academic collaboration with other intellectual communities and accountable interaction with the public at large.
- publishing and effectively disseminating scholarly research results in The South African Geographical Journal and other occasional publications,
- through the organization of prestige lectures,
- by encouraging regional and special interest group activities,
- by organising a biennial conference, and
- by performing other services such as representing Geographers on various official Department of Education subject groups.
Newsletter and Journal
The society of South African Geographers
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the (then) Society for Geography and the South African Geographical Society joined together.
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the Society for Geography and South African Geographical Society joined together. The union of South Africa's two Geographical Societies was an historic event. The merger initiative started in earnest...read more
The 2018 biennial conference was hosted by the UFS from 1-7 October 2018. Click here to download the conference proceedings. [gallery...read more
Student Conference 2018 [gallery...read more
Mr G Myburgh Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Stellenbosch University, 2012 Bronze medal winner (Best masters by research dissertation) View full gallery here. Abstract of Thesis The impact of...read more
The South African National Geography Olympiad (SANGO) - 2019 SANGO 2019 will take place on the 21st of May 2019 (Details to follow) The South African National Geography Olympiad (SANGO) - 2018 SANGO - Memo 2018 The South African National...read more
Department Contact details University of Cape Town Environmental and Geographical Science http://www.egs.uct.ac.za/ University of Limpopo School of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: Geography and Environmental Studies...read more
Standards Generated Body for Geography The Standards Generated Body (SGB) for Geography has finally met. After some years of negotiations with the South Africa Qualifications Authority, the SGB for Geography was gazetted (18 December) and given financial support....read more