The Society of South African Geographers main objective is to advance the research and educational activities of all South African Geographers by:
- collectively representing the interests of South African Geographers regionally, nationally and internationally
- encouraging and supporting high quality research and teaching in Geography
- providing a national geographic information resource for Geographers and interested groups
- stimulating awareness of geographic and environmental matters through academic collaboration with other intellectual communities and accountable interaction with the public at large.
- publishing and effectively disseminating scholarly research results in The South African Geographical Journal and other occasional publications,
- through the organization of prestige lectures,
- by encouraging regional and special interest group activities,
- by organising a biennial conference, and
- by performing other services such as representing Geographers on various official Department of Education subject groups.
Newsletter and Journal
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the Society for Geography and South African Geographical Society joined together. The union of South Africa's two Geographical Societies was an historic event. The merger initiative started in earnest...read more
The society of South African Geographers
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the (then) Society for Geography and the South African Geographical Society joined together.
SSAG 2018 – Invitation SSAG 2018 - Call for sessions The Call for Abstracts to #SSAG2018 is now open! We look forward to welcoming you to the Free State, October...read more
Student Conference 2016 Poster - Student Conference 2016 Student Conference registration form and accommodation info Broad conference programme outline –Student...read more
Mr G Myburgh Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Stellenbosch University, 2012 Bronze medal winner (Best masters by research dissertation) View full gallery here. Abstract of Thesis The impact of...read more
Outcome of South Africa’s Geography Olympiad 2017 The Southern African Geography Teachers’ Association (SAGTA) and the Society of South African Geographers (SSAG) are proud to announce the outcome of the first South African Geography Olympiad! As we evolve, we hope...read more
Department Contact details University of Cape Town Environmental and Geographical Science http://www.egs.uct.ac.za/ University of Limpopo School of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: Geography and Environmental Studies...read more
Standards Generated Body for Geography The Standards Generated Body (SGB) for Geography has finally met. After some years of negotiations with the South Africa Qualifications Authority, the SGB for Geography was gazetted (18 December) and given financial support....read more