The Society of South African Geographers (NPO 222-089) main objective is to advance the research and educational activities of all South African Geographers by:
- collectively representing the interests of South African Geographers regionally, nationally and internationally
- encouraging and supporting high quality research and teaching in Geography
- providing a national geographic information resource for Geographers and interested groups
- stimulating awareness of geographic and environmental matters through academic collaboration with other intellectual communities and accountable interaction with the public at large.
- publishing and effectively disseminating scholarly research results in The South African Geographical Journal and other occasional publications,
- through the organization of prestige lectures,
- by encouraging regional and special interest group activities,
- by organising a biennial conference, and
- by performing other services such as representing Geographers on various official Department of Education subject groups.
Newsletter and Journal
The society of South African Geographers
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the (then) Society for Geography and the South African Geographical Society joined together.
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the Society for Geography and South African Geographical Society joined together. The union of South Africa's two Geographical Societies was an historic event. The merger initiative started in earnest...read more
2018 Biennial Conference The 2018 biennial conference was hosted by the UFS from 1-7 October 2018. Click here to download the conference proceedings. Click here for the SSAG18 conference report....read more
Student Conference 2019 The School of Geography, Archaeology and Environmental Studies warmly welcomes postgraduate students from South African Geography departments to the Annual Society of South African Geographers' Student Conference. The conference will be held...read more
Geography poster 2016 Call for abstracts SSAG 2016 Conference Registration & payment...read more
The Southern African Geography Teachers’ Association (SAGTA) and the Society of South African Geographers (SSAG) are proud to announce the outcome of the 2019 South African Geography Olympiad! The SANGO 2020 will take place on the 19th of May 2020. Please email...read more
Department Contact details University of Cape Town Environmental and Geographical Science http://www.egs.uct.ac.za/ University of Limpopo School of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: Geography and Environmental Studies...read more
Standards Generated Body for Geography The Standards Generated Body (SGB) for Geography has finally met. After some years of negotiations with the South Africa Qualifications Authority, the SGB for Geography was gazetted (18 December) and given financial support....read more