For a pocket guide to conference organising – click here
2021 Biennial Conference
The SSAG (Society of South African Geographers) and SAAG (Southern African Association of Geomorphologists) will be collaborating in the form of a virtual conference in 2021. The conference will be hosted online from 6-8 September 2021 and will include daily keynote addresses, as well as panel-discussions, and parallel sessions for research presentations.
The collaboration between the SSAG and SAAG is both pragmatic in nature and a valuable opportunity. The conference aims to promote greater collaboration and provide an opportunity to network within the broader Geography community. The conference will feature sessions on human geography, physical geography, and geoinformation science, bringing together all areas of geographical sciences. It is hoped that the virtual format of the conference will allow for greater participation from the Geography community through the lack of need to travel and reduced costs involved.
Participants will have the choice to submit to peer reviewed conference proceedings, or to only submit an abstract for consideration of a presentation at the conference.
As a new initiative, the conference will also pair an Emerging Career Researcher (ECR) with an established researcher to convene conference sessions. If you are a young researcher and would like to take part in this initiative, please indicate this when you submit your abstract. In addition, during the conference there will be a paper session hosted jointly by SSAG-Students and New Professional’s (SNP) group, and IGU-YECG. Students and new professionals will share their projects, where the best paper award winner will receive a certificate and monetary award with encouragement to submit a paper to the South African Geographical Journal. Everyone in the SNP group is encouraged to submit a paper (all information available in an attached document).
Preliminary dates are given below:
- Paper (proceedings) & abstract deadline: 30 June
- Paper (proceedings) & abstract acceptance: 16 July
- Registration from: 1 July to 15 August
Submit an abstract:
- We invite you to submit your work to the conference. Abstracts and full papers for consideration in the Conference Proceedings can be submitted at https://forms.gle/pviZCNcGEjh3NdHN9.
- You may submit under the themes of Human Geography, Physical Geography, Remote Sensing & GIS, or other themes. A full list of sessions can be accessed at https://bit.ly/3p0moKA.
Students and New Professionals best paper award:
- The recently established SSAG Students and new Professional’s group will be hosting the Students and New Professionals best paper award. Please click the link for more information.
Please send any queries to SSAG.SAAG.email@example.com (official conference email address).
2018 Biennial Conference
The 2018 biennial conference was hosted by the UFS from 1-7 October 2018.
2016 Biennial Conference
The 2016 biennial conference was hosted by Stellenbosch University from 25 – 18 September 2016.
- Click here to download the conference proceedings