- collectively representing the interests of South African Geographers regionally, nationally and internationally
- encouraging and supporting high quality research and teaching in Geography
- providing a national geographic information resource for Geographers and interested groups
- stimulating awareness of geographic and environmental matters through academic collaboration with other intellectual communities and accountable interaction with the public at large.
- publishing and effectively disseminating scholarly research results in The South African Geographical Journal and other occasional publications,
- through the organization of prestige lectures,
- by encouraging regional and special interest group activities,
- by organising a biennial conference, and
- by performing other services such as representing Geographers on various official Department of Education subject groups.
Newsletter and Journal
The Society of South African Geographers
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the (then) Society for Geography and the South African Geographical Society joined together.
The Society of South African Geographers was founded in 1994 when the Society for Geography and South African Geographical Society joined together. The union of South Africa's two Geographical Societies was an historic event. The merger initiative started in earnest...read more
2022 Biennial Conference The 2022 SSAG biennial and student conference will be hosted at the University of Pretoria, Department of Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology: Main Conference from...read more
Student Conference 2022 The 2022 SSAG student conference will be hosted at the University of Pretoria, Department of Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology from the 15th-16th September (online mode). The conference website is scheduled to go live within the next...read more
In 2016 the SSAG hosted a centenary conference at Stellenbosch University to celebrate 100 years of Geography in South Africa. The conference was attended by more than 200 delegates from across South Africa. A book detailing the origin and growth of Geography as a...read more
The South African National Geography Olympiad (SANGO) - 2021 The 2021 South African National Geography Olympiad (SANGO) Round One (MCQs) took place on 18th of May 2021 and Round Two (written task) was held on the 23rd of June 2021. SANGO is thrilled to announce that...read more
Department Contact details University of Cape Town Environmental and Geographical Science http://www.egs.uct.ac.za/ University of Limpopo School of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: Geography and Environmental Studies...read more
Standards Generated Body for Geography The Standards Generated Body (SGB) for Geography has finally met. After some years of negotiations with the South Africa Qualifications Authority, the SGB for Geography was gazetted (18 December) and given financial support....read more